Friday, July 1, 2011

Good Friends

Leviticus 19:17-18 (NKJV) You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

It's good to be surrounded by friends. Men and women who love us is a great gift from our loving, Heavenly Father. Hanging out together, fellowshipping in the Lord together, enjoying a coffee (at the One Way Café of course, ha ha), and just enjoying the wonderful opportunities God has given us with one another is a blessing.

Sometimes, it's through friends that God brings a message to us that we don't necessarily want to hear. Are you really ready to receive correction or rebuke from your friend?

That's where things get tough and the ball starts rolling down hill, when a person shares something with us that hurts. Because open rebuke is better than concealed love (Proverbs 27:5), the rebukes and exhortations which come our way should be embraced as friends.

I know it's more comfortable for us to ignore a difficult situation or issue, as we hope (and hope) it will get better. But that's not love. Love says, "I care more about you growing and maturing than I care about what you think of me. If you think I'm not a nice guy, that's okay, if what I'm saying will provoke you to love and good works."

Proverbs 27:6 says that the wounds of a friend are faithful. Be open and ready to grow as you may come across difficult words and penetrating insights, sometimes, even from friends.

In Love,
Pastor Ed



The Truth in Living Color

Nothing is more precious than to hear a child praying. Specifically, when my grandsons pray. The last time I visited them in TX, (May and July) hearing my 9 year-old grandson pray and in the midst of his prayer, ask God to get me home safely, was just awesome. It brings tears to my eyes because, of course, I don't want to leave them there. My plan is to move there eventually when I retire...

It will be hard to leave Calvary Chapel Aurora. Thank God for computers! But I always say, what I have planned and what God has planned, may be two totally different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment